2012-06-18

Cat-astrophe

My cat got sick. At first, he was reluctant to eat. A week later, it progressed to vomiting. I caught him in the act after cleaning up two previous vomit piles, and later that day that he was very reluctant to socialize. He is a snuggler and a food vacuum, so this was very worrisome for me. A friend convinced me to take him to an animal ER immediately, so off we went.

After taking his vitals, drawing a blood sample, and doing an x-ray, I decided to take him home. Poor Tig was freaking out a little, shedding all over the exam room and jumping every time someone touched him unexpectedly. He was more energetic than I'd seen him in days though, so it seemed like he might have been improving. I had instructions to withhold food and water overnight, and isolate him from the other cats.

In the morning, I checked to make sure he hadn't vomited overnight. Since he had been okay, I followed the instructions to feed him a little bit of bland food. He licked the serving spoon, and might have eaten some from the bowl, but in the time it took me to cap the remainder in the can and come back, he had already started to vomit again. So I took him back to the ER.

The out-patient care already failed once, so I let them board him for up to two days. They monitored him, trying to feed him sporadically, but he refused all food. He had no bowel movements, either the night before or the night at the hospital, but since he hadn't eaten anything in at least that long, the doctor was not too concerned. He was peeing normally, since he had been hooked up to IV fluids. This morning, they did an ultrasound of his abdominal region, verifying that there were no obstructions in his gut. The blood work from Saturday also came back fine, ruling out serious kidney and liver diseases.

He's being treated for inflammation of the pancreas currently, as the remaining most likely candidate that's making him sick like this. There's another blood work out to verify if it is pancreatitis. There's not much they can do for him if it really is pancreatitis, only supporting him through the illness with medication to stimulate his appetite, relieve nausea, and promote healthy bowel movements.

I hope my poor kitty gets better and can come home soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment